Vegas Outside The CAC Reunion
By Greg Ragland
You may not believe it possible, but it really is true that there are many things to do in Sin City in those agonizing hours when the CAC events are closed. Take it from someone who lives here, there are more things known and unknown than meets the eye.
Â From Broadway style shows to Amusement parks that delight the young and old alike, Las Vegas has more varied things to do per square mile than almost any other city in the US. Even if itâ??s not Thrills & Chills you are after, itâ??s certain there is something just for your tastes around every corner.
It used to be that Las Vegas was the Mecca for cheap food or Buffets â?? and being the â??Las Vegas Buffet Examinerâ? for Examiner.com, I should know!. While this is still true to an extent (You can find â??Old Vegasâ? pricing everywhere), of late we have become known for having the most James Beard award winning restaurants in one city â?? in the world. This is only a short list of recommendations close to HQ of course â?? listing them all would take so much space that the CAC website would be overloaded in a moment.
- Carnival World Buffet at the Rio. Located just steps away from the Gold Coast (CAC central), this Buffet is consistently ranked as #1 by Locals & Visitors alike. From pizza to omelets, sushi to teppan yaki, fresh carved meats to Asian barbecue, the Carnival World offers numerous experiences from around the world featuring live-action cooking right before your eyes guaranteeing freshness and top quality. (.33 miles from Gold Coast)
- The Buffet at Wynn Resort. One of a handful of â??High Endâ? Buffets serving Gourmet foods, the Wynn caters to those with discerning tastes. Of course along with that taste is a higher price tag, but its well worth the cost of admission. (2.25 miles from Gold Coast)
- Frisco Market Buffet. This Buffet located at Arizona Charlieâ??s on Decatur has been a Localâ??s secret for years. Itâ??s inexpensive compared to almost all other Buffets in town, and while not extravagant, the food is tasty & fresh. (4.5 miles from the Gold Coast)
- Mesa Grill. Food Networkâ??s Bobby Flay opened this in 2004 thanks to the success of fellow Food TV offerings in the city. Featuring Southwestern foods, it always pleases those walking the spicy side of life. (1.28 miles from Gold Coast)
- Delmonicoâ??s. Another Food network Chef, the well known Emeril Lagasse opened this Cajun influenced Steakhouse to great acclaim. Like all Steakhouses of this level, expect to drop a pretty penny for the experience, but believe me, itâ??s well worth every cent. (1.81 miles from Gold Coast)
- Bouchon. Chef Thomas Keller of the famed French Laundry in Napa Valley opened this dining experience that even other Chefs rave about. Itâ??s a canâ??t miss dining experience. (1.81 miles from Gold Coast)
- Mermaids. (Downtown Vegas)Â Thereâ??s a lot to be said for having things for 99 cents like Hot Dogs. Combine this with deep fried Oreos and Twinkies for that same price, and you can see why this leads the cheap section! (5.5 miles from Gold Coast)
- Arizona Charlieâ??s Boulder. The 2nd AZ Charlieâ??s to appear, but this time because of their great $3.29 Sirloin Steak & Eggs breakfast. (12 miles from Gold Coast)
- Ellis Island. Competing for cheap steaks is this offering near to the Gold Coast, serving New York Steak & Eggs for the paltry sum of $3.45. (1.7 miles from Gold Coast)
Having transitioned from a wild west, Mafia run oasis to a Family adventure land, Vegas has once again moved on to something new. There are still plenty of Thrills to be found. Whether it is adrenaline charged Rides to spooky Ghost tours, Vegas has a lot to offer to those of all ages.
- Stratosphere Casino. Featuring four insanely designed rides, the Stratosphere has become the place to go to get the blood pumping. For those wanting the ultimate thrill, the Skyjump is a controlled free fall from more than 800 feet at a scream-inducing speed. Are you a Jumper? (4 miles from Gold Coast)
- AdventureDome @ Circus Circus. For just $25 for an all-day pass, you can ride 18 rides at this totally indoor Theme park. On top of that, inside the Casino itself you can watch free Circus shows from 11am. (2.75 miles from Gold Coast)
- Haunted Vegas Tours. This spirited and spooky ghost tour will take you to the haunting grounds of Bugsy Siegel, Liberace, Redd Foxx and Elvis. Robert Allen, creator of Haunted Vegas Tours now makes it possible to visit such eerie sites by offering a guided Tour and Show, featuring Sin City’s Darkest Ghostly Secrets.Â The Tour is nightly at 9:30 leaving from Royal Resort at 99 Convention Center Drive. (3 miles from Gold Coast)
Letâ??s face it, there are 2 types of shows people want to see in Vegas, those being Broadway style extravaganzas, to the more adult natured Strip/Topless variety. Whichever you prefer, these are sure to titillate and entertain.
- The Lion King @ Mandalay Bay. This much praised show from Disney has been wowing audiences nightly. You can expect all the splendor one would want from this type of show â?? and the kids will love it too!Â Ticket rates range from $64.00 to $168.50 (3.5 miles from Gold Coast)
- Crazy Girls. The granddaddy of Vegas Topless reviews, Crazy Girls is a fun-loving adventure through the world of beauty, music dance and comedy. Stunning showgirls grace the stage to deliver a memorable show. Tickets range from $45 to $66 with 2 for 1 vouchers all over the place. (2.8 miles from Gold Coast)
- Chippendales @ the Rio. Not to be outdone by their female counterparts, the Chippendales dance for the Ladies. Tickets range from $44 to $55. One word of caution though, we are told Morgan Dollar tends to wait outside the show for reasons unknown. Forewarned is forearmed. (.33 miles from Gold Coast)